Thursday 5 November 2009

Links of interest


Links of interest

Frank McCourt. Angela’s Ashes

My first link of interest is reading autobiographies and non fictional books. I enjoy reading about true, real events that take place in people’s lives. I take different aspects of peoples life experiences and sometimes can compare them to my own or learn from others. I am going to write about Angela’s ashes by Frank McCourt. A writer and English teacher born and raised in Ireland he lived in poverty and squalor all his child life until he fled abroad at the age of 19 to America to live the American dream.

Once I started this book it was a matter of days before I finished it, and then read it again, and again. He is often blamed for started the “misery memoirs” trend but I believe this to be a very open honest book to which people need to read to truly understand where we came from and how we have evolved in society. I went on to watch the film of Angela’s Ashes and thoroughly enjoyed putting images to characters and places, although obviously parts are missed due to timing circumstances.

As a student of the performing arts I like to think I am constantly learning and I have taken parts of Angela’s and just with close friends scripted and acted out parts of the book. Writers like Frank McCourt give me inspiration to want to direct and write. I feel that when I have a full understanding of a piece of text I am in control of it and with the help of others there’s nothing you can’t do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9H5PolaUME Frank McCourt speaking about his writing and how he children feel about poverty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IacHUQGVdI&NR=1 Frank McCourt reading Angela’s Ashes
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/angelasashes/quotes.html

“The master says it’s a glorious thing to die for the Faith and Dad says it’s a glorious thing to die for Ireland and I wonder if there’s anyone in the world who would like us to live. My brothers are dead and my sister is dead and I wonder if they died for Ireland or the Faith. Dad says they were too young to die for anything. Mam says it was disease and starvation and him never having a job. Dad says, Och, Angela, puts on his cap and goes for a long walk.” Frank McCourt

Music

My second link of interest is music; music influences me in my everyday life as well as being a major key in my creative process. Music can have a major hold on me influencing my moods and depending on what kind of mood I am in also depends on the music I will listen to.
In my profession practice I use music to stimulate people’s minds and energies and to relax people within workshops. I enjoy setting movement and choreography to music. Creating new movement is a release for me because nothing is right and nothing is wrong. Improvisation is a wonderful thing and I have had experience that it keeps sessions relaxed (when it needs to be) and nobody feels under pressure which stems back to the inclusive process I follow.

Being involved in the vocal choir at Chicken shed I am practicing new lyrics and song words and in terms of movement rehearsals, we are creating new movement and setting pieces to music so I constantly feel in tune with it. I lap up its benefits and find it fascinating the effects it can have on an individual.

You only have to take a look at my Ipod to see how many genres of music I will listen to. Music is about being open to change and adapting with the times, and that is something that in today’s modern society we all need to embrace and understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment